The Webusersguild strives for transparency and trust when it comes to protecting your privacy and we aim to clearly explain how we collect and process your information. It’s important to us that you should enjoy using our products, services and website(s) without compromising your privacy in any way. This policy outlines how we collect and use different types of personal and behavioural information, and the reasons for doing so. You have the right to access, change or delete your personal information at any time. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with our Privacy Team; their details included in our “Contact Us” section.
Our policies will be updated from time-to-time. Please refer back regularly to keep yourself updated.
Sections in this policy:
- Information we collect
- How we use your information
- How we work with third parties
- Retaining and storing your information
- External links and Cookies
- Contact Us
- Who we are
This policy applies to “users” and “customers” (or “you”) of Webusersguild.org; that is anyone ordering, registering or interacting with any product or service from any of Webusersguild.org businesses. This includes event attendees, subscribers, registrants, website users, app users etc.
Collection and use of your information
The information you provide us, and that which we gather based on your activity, helps us to deliver more relevant content as well as create a more seamless experience across the products and channels through which you may access that content.
We collect and store some information about you in order to deliver products and services to you (such as your subscription, or so that you can attend an WUG Event). We share some of that information with trusted suppliers (including payment providers and postal services) to ensure the delivery of those products and services, or to give personalised recommendations on things we think will be of interest to you. We also collect information when you use our products and services and further details are provided below.
Information we collect
Information you provide us which we need in order to provide you with our services and products
There is certain personal information that we need in order to provide the products and services that you have chosen. Examples of details we collect in order to fulfil a subscription to Webusersguild.orgt include:
- Postal address (including postcode)
- Email address
- Payment details
In addition to the above, examples of the details we collect for our WUG Events business could include:
- Job title
- Work email
Other parts of Webusersguild.org may ask for different information such as phone numbers, gender or date of birth, as indicated when you interact with those products or services.
Information we collect through your use of our products
When you use any of our online platforms or apps we collect information that helps us to deliver the service you have chosen and to improve your experience. This is done through cookies and other technologies. Examples of the type of information we may collect are:
- Email Provider
- The pages you read on our websites and how you got to them
- IP address
- Internet Connection
- Location (in some cases)
You can also volunteer to disclose additional information which may not be essential for us to deliver a service to you. By providing it you help us to ensure we communicate with you in a way that’s most relevant, useful and engaging for you. We may collect and ask for additional information when you order, purchase, register, subscribe or make use of our products or services in any way, for example in person, via our marketing campaigns, via phone or mail orders, or our websites.
Information we receive from third parties
We occasionally work with third parties who provide additional information that you have shared with them, such as your telephone number and postal address (for example if you’ve moved house or updated yourphone number and we need to contact you with important service information). Some third parties may also share further information about your interaction on our sites to help us personalise our services to you. More information can be found in the Audience Profiling section below.
Information we do not track
We do not track or collect any sensitive information about you. This includes race, religion, ethnicity, and political opinion.
How we use your information
We primarily use your information for the purpose of delivering the products and services that you have chosen and to personalise our interactions (including advertising) with you. For further details about this, and other ways we may use your information, please read the sections below.
To provide products and services;
- To manage your access to our online content and apps, and to send you content via push notifications, newsletters, EIU subscriptions and CQ Roll Call if you have requested us to do so.
- To send you service notifications related to your product or service such as subscription renewal notifications, password resets and order confirmations.
- To manage customer service queries and complaints.
- To manage your privacy preferences and to ensure you only receive communications that you have requested, which may include using your details to suppress you from communications.
- To send you administrative emails about your account, reminders for upcoming events, service changes, or new policies. These updates, changes and notifications are essential for the services that you have selected.
- To provide general location-based services (e.g. the region or country you are in), advertising or search results for our content.
- To detect and reduce fraud including fraudulent orders.
- To prevent users from posting illegal, offensive or objectionable comments on our site.
- To run competitions, prize draws and promotions or if you agree to be a speaker or contributor at, or in, one of our events, projects or films. In these cases, subject to any specific terms Webusersguild.org agrees with you separately, you grant a global right to Webusersguild.org to use your name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and statements, for advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes in all media now known or discovered afterwards and on the internet.
To deliver marketing and advertising
We need your consent to use your information for some specific purposes such as marketing, brand response communications and personalised advertising. Ways in which we will use your information if you consent are as follows:
- We may send marketing communications via a range of channels including email and push notifications and you can opt out of these at any time. If you give us marketing permission, we may contact you to tell you about special offers and related or similar products or services within Webusersguild.org.
- We may pass your information to specially selected third parties who would like to contact you with information regarding their own products and services such as other subscriptions, events or content services. Those parties are responsible for their use of your data and you should read their privacy policies carefully. For more information on how we work with third parties please see the section below..
- In order to deliver advertising and marketing messages that are relevant to you, we may use the information we hold about you, including details that we collate from your use of our services or third parties, such as more precise information on your location or your company’s profile (ie. company name, company size), to ensure that the advertising you see is of interest to you.
Other uses of your information
Other than where we have asked for your consent, we mainly rely on two other separate bases to lawfully use your information. First, we need to use your information in certain ways to provide our products or services to you, in accordance with our contracts with you. In this case, it is necessary for us to use your information so that we can deliver the products or services you have chosen. Second, as described in more detail below, in certain cases, we may use your information where necessary to further our legitimate interests, where those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests:
- To measure customer and user response and engagement with our products and services such as online content, email newsletters and subscription offers. This may include sharing your information with third parties who help us to analyse and measure these things.
- To ensure our products (including websites and apps) are compatible with the browsers and operating systems used by most of our visitors.
- To help us improve our customer and user experience and to support in new product development. We may send customer satisfaction surveys and market research questionnaires (for which we may share your information with third party suppliers employed by us).
- To detect and reduce fraudulent activity and for other security related purposes such as to help us protect against harassment, IP infringement, crime or other security issues.
You have the right to object to any of the above uses of your information, please contact us if you wish to do so. We will consider all objections reasonably, but there may be legal reasons where we deem that the use of your information is still appropriate. We will explain our decision to you in a timely manner.
Webusersguild.org projects publishing content on social media platforms e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn through both “organic” and “paid” methods to reach current and potential readers:
- “Organic” methods describe where content and/or offers are published onto a social platform so that they may appear in your social platform’s content, without being promoted or forced to appear more prominently, e.g. Webusersguild.org social media Pages.
- “Paid” methods describe where content and/or offers are published onto a social platform so that they will appear more prominently, or be shown to users that do not currently follow Webusersguild.org social pages e.g. a promoted tweet on your Twitter Timeline.
We may place one or more social media platform “tags” on our website in order to better understand how Webusersguild.org may be of best value to you by providing you with the most relevant content available according to what you have chosen to read on our own websites. These tags only record information around events to help us understand if you are registered or subscribed with us, so that we may use your reading preferences to provide more relevant content and/or offers to you, on social media platforms, e.g. removing subscription offers from your feed if you are a current subscriber.
We do not have direct access to your personal data on your social media platforms.
How we use your details for audience profiling
We may analyse your individual information to create a profile of your interests and preferences as a part of an audience. These insights are used to help us make marketing decisions so that we can ensure our messages are relevant to you. There are times we may use additional information available from external sources to help us do this effectively.
You can choose to opt out of our audience profiling activity if you wish. This does not mean that you will no longer see advertisements, it just means that the advertisements you will see are no longer personalised to your interests. Please contact us to do so.
How we work with third parties
As mentioned, in some instances, we disclose personal information to third parties when it is necessary to deliver a service or product, or to help us improve your experience with us, or when we are required to do so by contract or law. “Third parties” include agents, subcontractors, sponsors and other associated organisations. We have in place contracts to ensure the information remains secure and limited in use, and if we do not have a legitimate business reason to pass on your information, we will ask you to give consent first. Some examples of when we share your information are below:
- When you make a payment on any of our sites your payment will be processed by a specialist payment processor to ensure a secure transaction. All payment processors used by Webusersguild.org are compliant with required security standards.
- When we send you an email or a push notification, these are delivered by marketing platforms. As part of this service, certain information such as message opens, clicks and formatting are recorded to help deliver the best email experience.
- When we test and launch new products, services or offers, we may work with trusted third parties to support us.
- We also employ third parties to carry out statistical analyses and conduct surveys on our behalf, to support our advertising and content production efforts respectively
- To enhance your profile with non-personal information.
- To enable third parties such as advertisers or sponsors to contact you with information about their own products and services that may be of interest – only if you give explicit permission for us to do so.
Third parties who pass information to us
Our membership services sometimes use additional information such as telephone numbers or postcodes from third parties (like list brokers, researchers or telemarketing agents, who have gathered this information lawfully) to help us to contact you with important service updates via phone or post or to help us make marketing decisions. This includes advertising (by ourselves or via advertising partners) to groups of people with particular interests. These third parties may give us access to your personal information, if you have allowed them to do so.
We may also work with third parties to identify individuals who may be interested in our products and services or in some cases our sponsors / advertisers’ products and services. These third parties may give us access to your personal information, if you have allowed them to do so. In any communication you receive from us, through these third parties, we make sure to identify ourselves (and them) so that you know who has access to your information.
Retaining and storing your information
We securely store your information, and hold it for as long as we need to in order provide our services and products to you in accordance with (i) applicable law, or (ii) as long as is set out in any relevant contract you have with us.
We review our retention periods for personal information regularly. If you have not interacted with us in any way, we will generally no longer hold your information after 5 years (although this may be shorter for individual businesses (you can confirm by contacting us)). Sometimes we may need to keep it for longer periods such as tax and other financial regulatory reasons, this would typically be 7 years. We would only keep it for longer than this if we are required to by law.
If you request for us to no longer contact you, for example with marketing communications, we will retain the minimum amount of information about you so that we can ensure we remove you from any future communications. Please note that if you ask us to completely remove all information about you, and you subsequently use our products and services at a later date, we will no longer be able to recognise your previous request to not be contacted, which is why we would keep it and suppress it in line with industry standards.
Storing and transferring information internationally
As the internet is a global environment and we work with third parties across the globe, collecting and using your personal information may involve the transfer of this information internationally, including outside of the United States of Amercia. By using our products and services you acknowledge and agree to your personal information being transferred in this way, including to jurisdictions outside the U.S.
We maintain strict policies to ensure all information that is transferred is done so safely and securely.
Keeping your information safe
We take information security seriously and have policies and procedures in place to ensure the information we hold on you remains safe. We limit who has access to your information and ensure that those who do are bound by contracts to keep your information availability restricted and safe.
Individuals under 18
Webusersguild.org does not intentionally, or knowingly, process personal information from individuals under the age of 18. When necessary, users under the age of 18 will be told not to submit any personal details. We will make every effort to delete any details of such users where a parent or guardian has informed us that these details have been collected.
Cookies are small files that are created in your web browser when you visit any of our websites.
If you have questions about this policy or about your personal information, please send correspondence to us at the following address:
Alternatively, you can use the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How can I see what information you hold on me?
You can contact our data privacy manager as set out in our ‘Contact Us’ section above.
- How do I opt out of profiling?
You can contact us at any time. A member of our data privacy team will speak to you regarding your request.
- How do I opt out of marketing?
You can update your preferences at any time, and for subscribers of Webuseergiuild.org this can be done via your online account at Webusersguild.org, or by contacting customer services (see ‘Contact Us<’).
- How do I make a complaint?
- How long do you hold my information for?
We generally hold information for up to 5 years if we have had no interaction with you. It may be 7 years or longer if required for financial, tax or legal reasons.
- Can I ask you to delete my information?
Yes, just contact us. We will consider your request and take appropriate action which may mean that we suppress it, rather than delete it to ensure that we can still follow your preferences as to whether or not we can market to you.
- How do I update my information?
You can update it at any time via your online account at Webusersguild.org (for members of Webusersguild.org), or just contact us.
- How do I manage cookies?
Last update: 5 January 2019